How do you start designing a client's bathroom?
Have a discussion like any other room. What features are worth accentuating and which features are negative and worth eliminating or camouflaging?
*Use the function, mood, and harmony steps to designing a bathroom.
What are eight functional considerations when designing a bathroom?
1) Does the bathroom have all the functional features the client wants and can afford (ie. need bidet, steam shower etc)
2) Size (single person vs family use of bathroom)
3) Does the space provide smooth flow for traffic
4) Sufficient lighting?
5) Sufficient storage?
6) Sufficient surfaces?
7) Additional needs of client (universal design?)
When drawing a bathroom to scale, consider using what measurement(s)?
What are the three different scopes of work for bathroom re-designs?
1) Simple redecoration: "surface changes"
2) Major redecoration
3) Structural overhaul
Define fixtures vs fittings
Fixtures are the separate units of a bathroom without hardware attached. IE bathtubs, sinks, bidets, toilet etc.
Fittings are the visible hardware that attach to the fixtures.
What are four different types of bathtubs?
4) jacuzzi/whirpool baths
What are three key details to remember when considering window treatments for bathrooms?
1) They must offer full privacy
2) Avoid overly ornate details since bathrooms are typically a small space
3) Make sure its a fabric that can handle moisture and dirt.
What is recommended when choosing a skylight for a bathroom?
Tip: We recommend that you specify a double-glazed skylight to limit heat loss on cold days and nights, and cold loss during periods of air conditioning.
*Consider heat blocking milky acrylic for harsh rays and hot days.